Frequently Asked Questions
- When does beginning band start?
- How much do instruments cost?
- How many instrumental ensembles does RICHLAND offer?
When does beginning band start?
- 4th Grade is the first year RICHLAND students are able to participate in band. All students will learn, explore, and audition on instruments in class during their weekly general music time. Information will be sent home mid-September communicating our Beginning Band Recruitment night.
Late-September: Beginning Band Recruitment Night
- Families will have the opportunity to meet Mr. Robb and ask specific questions about band. Families will also be able to rent their instruments and purchase books and accessories this evening through a preferred vendor.
October: We Begin!
- Beginning Band, in 4th grade, will begin the first week of October. During 1st Semester, students will attend band once a week from 8:00am–8:40am for their instrument lesson. During 2nd Semester, students will attend band once a week from 8:00am–8:40am for their instrument lesson, and once a week from 8:00am–8:40am (Friday) for a full band rehearsal.
How much do instruments cost?
This is a tricky question. Due to the variety of sizes, materials, brands, and qualities of instruments there are no direct answers for this one. Most of our students rent their instrument, through a rent-to-own program, while other students have purchased their instrument outright.
Most rentals will average between $35-$60 per month. Many music stores will give a discount when purchasing an instrument outright vs. renting an instrument.
We recommend that all new band students rent their instrument at least for the first 4 months during the instrument trial period. This allows the students and family evaluate the program as well as if they enjoy that particular instrument, or prefer to try something else.
How many instrumental ensembles does RICHLAND offer?
RICHLAND is thrilled to offer 6, regularly meeting, instrumental ensembles that students can partake in throughout the school year. Beyond the ensembles listed below, we may offer multiple sections of our extra-curricular ensembles, or other instrumental ensembles based on student interest and need from year to year. Please visit our About page for more information on RICHLANDS’s instrumental ensembles.
Connect With Us
For more information, please contact the Band Office via email, firstname.lastname@example.org, any time or write to us at:
c/o Mr. Phil Robb
1919 Caton Farm Road
Crest Hill, Illinois 60403